Sunday, March 29, 2009

Design Observer

Futura:
This article is similar to the 2nd one that I read, now coming back to it, in that just saying that you used the typeface isn't a good enough reason. I'm not sure why students supposedly love Futura, as I haven't found any strong attraction to it. I think that design in general, a lot of people don't realize, always has (or should have) some kind of purpose or reasoning behind it, other than because I like it, or wanted to. It what makes design good, having meaning. Otherwise, why does it even exist? Why should anyone care? Other fonts to use instead of Futura...Personally, I've been drawn to Fruitger. It's an interesting font in that the different types aren't all the same. The Extra black has some different characters which keeps it interesting. Of course also there is Helvetica, can't go wrong with that one.


13 ways:

This article was pretty interesting, the 13 ways he explained I thought were unique. One that stuck out to me was 'Because its ugly.' It doesn't really make sense at first glance. Why would you want to use a typeface that you know looks ugly? Most would say you wouldn't. But Bierut apparently can find beauty in even an ugly typeface. I guess it would really expand a designer's mind to be able to see and accept an ugly typeface if used corectly, as beautiful. Reminds me of "beauty and the beast" somehow...The one I didn't really like was 'because you like its name' I really don't think a typeface's name should have any influence in a decision to use it in a piece of work. It has nothing to do with whether or not it looks good, works for what is trying to be communicated, or is even appropriate. The description under that one sort of made it seem like he was making fun of that reason...but he still put it on his list so who knows...For the most part I think the list is fairly appropriate, and seems to make sense for the most part.

No comments: